First week in Austin
![]() |
| The tower at University of Texas in Austin |
So, here I am, in Austin,
Texas. I arrived here on January 16th along with 35 other teachers from all
over Brazil and we will stay until the end of February studying at the
University of Texas at Austin. We have classes every day, from 9am to 5pm, with
a 1h30-hour lunch in the middle.
When we travel to a
different country it's common to become enthusiastic in the first days. It's
like you are not going to have the time to see everything you planned to see.
That's what most of us did. Many teachers went out every evening to go
shopping. And obviously many of us were exhausted by the end of this first
week. That's understandable, we want to make the most of it.
![]() |
| At the Lady Bird Lake |
So far, I have not seen much of Austin. We spend much time at the Campus. Still, I could notice that this is a city that values open areas. There are many parks around the city, specially by the Colorado river. Last weekend I walked by the area they call Lady Bird Lake and there were many people enjoying the beautiful sunny day to run, walk, do sports, or walk their dogs.
I also visited the Capitol,
which is the base of the state government in Texas. It is an astonishing huge
building that has the same style as the Capitol in Washington DC. Our group was
guided by a gentle lady called Georgia who taught us a lot about the history of
this state.
There is so much more I
could talk about here. I think my next post will be about the classes. Do you
think classes here are very different from the ones we have in
Brazil?


Your blog is very informativo and useful. People can feel what you are seeing in Austin.
ReplyDeleteCarol rules it all!
ReplyDeleteI love sharing experiences with you! Visiting the Capitol was really amazing!
Loved your blog Carol! Especially the way you summarized our first week here. It is been tiring but equally amazing. Kisses! Gisele
ReplyDelete"A joy shared is a joy doubled". I hope you have the best expirience in Austin!
ReplyDelete