American Way of Life
My group and I have been in Austin for over a month now. It's time enough to start analyzing different aspects of the American way of life with a less biased perspective. The honeymoon phase is over, so flaws or differences become clearer and clearer.
We learned that Americans pursue happiness and success and are usually encouraged to build their own path to achieve this. I could see that the structure the country offers makes it easier. One example of this is the school we visited. Although it is far from being excellent when compared to other places, students have access to musical instruments, laptops, and sports equipment that students in Brazil will never dream of getting close to. On the other hand, I was a little shocked that the classroom doors were locked. I also heard they have drills to prepare them for the event of a shooting. This is something we do not have to worry about in Brazil yet.
We also watched a basketball match at Moody Center. It was the women's basketball intercollegiate, but to me it looked like the finals. There were firecrackers, songs, balloons, big screens, a marching band, and lots of cheerleaders. I started wondering if this happens every game they play. And I also thought about the pressure on the players. They were like superstars, which is something really good because they get all the recognition. However, as the match progressed I was annoyed by how rehearsed and unnatural everything is. There is a time for making noise, there is a time for being quiet, there is a time for dancing, and so on. Almost nothing is spontaneous and that bothered me a little. I guess that's what we call a "culture clash".
It's been such a wonderful and challenging time for all of us. I really hope we can make the most of the last few days and get back home safe and wiser.

Hi Caroline! I also really enjoyed the basketball game. Wonderful game!!! :)
ReplyDelete